Thursday, April 17, 2008
Looking for help from Readers
Readers, I need your help! I am doing research for an article I am writing about the promotional value of authors hosting their own contests for the September issue of the Romance Writers Report. If you’ve ever read a book, entered a readers’ contest or thought about entering one, I’d love to have some feedback from you. You may answer any or all of the questions, or just share what you think.
1. Have you ever entered an author-sponsored contest?
2. If so, why? The prize? Getting to know a new author? Keeping tabs on a favorite author? Contest junkie? etc.?
3. What prizes draw you to a contest? Free book(s)? New releases? Backlist titles? Pampering gifts like chocolate or lotions? A unique gift? etc.?
4. If/when you enter the contest, do you take some time to explore the author’s website?
5. Has entering or winning a contest ever led you to discovering a new author whose books you will read, check out and/or purchase in the future?
6. Does a repeat regularity of an author’s contest (monthly/seasonally/with each book/etc.) get you into the habit of coming back to check his/her website on a regular basis? Or does the frequency of a contest make it lose its luster for you?
7. Any particular perks or peeves about author-sponsored contests you’d like to share?
Thanks for your help!