Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Music to Write By!


Every book I write has a theme song or theme album that I listen to repeatedly throughout the creative process of putting those coveted words on the page. I love music, and it's a great tool for us writers to create a mood, or help us conjure up the emotions we need our characters to feel and pour out onto the pages.

The last two cowboy books I've written, one historical & one contemporary, found me spinning the soundtrack from the movie Wyatt Earp over and over. Even though the books were set more than 140 years apart, the music just seemed to fit both. Some great emotional tracks on that album! And since I write romance, emotion is a key element to writing a compelling book.

Now, I'm at the start of revisions on another contemporary cowboy romance, Lassoed Heart, which I wrote a while back. Okay, quite a while back. ;-) Needless to say, I've been in search of a new theme song for this book. And I found it!

Once I find "that" song, it's forever connected to the book in my mind. I can't listen to that song ever again without thinking of that particular book. The characters, and all the emotions they and I experienced while writing that story come rushing back. That might seem strange to people who aren't writers, but trust me, it's a good feeling. It's kind of like visiting old friends by a warm cozy fire!

Although I'm sure I'll listen to many Country songs while working on Lassoed Heart, Forever by John Micheal Montgomery will be my main theme song. This is an awesome song and can be found on his Time Flies album! This song was released a few months ago, but for some reason it just hasn't received much air play. Why, I have no idea. It deserves it!!!

So, there's a little sneak peek into my creative process!

No comments: